Since our start in 2015, we’ve gone from a group of individuals to a community pushing toward the same goal of building a fantastic company with great people, great products, and, most importantly, a great culture.
Apptegy is building products to empower school leaders to run better schools.
We are growing quickly and are focused on bringing thoughtful, high-performers together to craft amazing products for our clients and to make Apptegy a better place than it already is.
What we’ve built and are building:
Apptegy works with thousands of schools and school districts across the United States. For the past 6 years, we’ve been working on making our technology into a breath of fresh air. School leaders, superintendents and administrators have some of the most stressful and demanding jobs in the world. They are responsible for the safety, well-being, and education of thousands of students. Every day they juggle the roles of politician, disciplinarian, visionary, and accountant.
That’s why we focus on simplicity. By making everything simple, we lower the technical barrier so that any administrator can lead with the most powerful tools available.
In short, we are enabling school leaders to brand, market, and strengthen their schools. Amazing events and happenings occur in schools every day and our technology allows that to be shared across web, mobile, social media, and alerts with a single, simple-to-use tool.
As a Senior Back-End Engineer you will...
- Learn and write beautiful code in Ruby and Rails (often for new features, new products/platforms)
- Work with a SCRUM team with other backend engineers and front-end (Vue.js) engineers, QA/Test, and DevOps engineers
- Discuss the best architecture for a feature and dive deep into Design Patterns
- Work with and assist other engineers to think through architectural decisions
- Write clear documentation with the help of Product and Tech Ops
- Use good coding standards (best framework and language idioms)
- Work closely with Product Managers and Engineering leaders (CTO & VPs)
At Apptegy, we use Ruby on Rails, one of the modern programming languages used by companies like Shopify, Airbnb, GitHub, Crunchbase, Groupon, to build our platforms. While our backend engineers work in Ruby and Rails, we are looking for an experienced senior engineer to join our team regardless of direct experience with Ruby or Rails in the past . If you enjoy building meaningful technology with thoughtful teams and you’re still interested in a challenge, we want to talk to you about what it’s like to work in Engineering at Apptegy.
What is expected of engineers at Apptegy?
We expect a lot of our engineers. We’ve been able to build an exceptional team that cares about their work and each other. We are incredibly proud of our team. We are also fortunate to have the opportunity to build products, platforms, and features that empower schools and school leaders to highlight their strengths and give the best opportunities to their students.
What is true of you?
An aptitude for challenge & a track record of success:
- You have completed a four-year college degree ideally in Computer Science or similar, or without a technical degree, you have experience building successful products and platforms for 6+ years
- Deep experience as a software engineer involving both deciding feature and/or platform architecture, writing code, and writing tests for your code
- 6+ years of experience with a focus on back end
- Strong experience in a top-level database system (ideally PostgreSQL, but others work also)
- You’ve picked up and mastered a modern language (e.g. Python, PHP, Dot-NET MVC, SailsJS ) and new technologies outside your comfort zone
- Working closely with other software engineers to accomplish larger objectives
An interest in Culture and Code: We reject the stereotype that engineers want to be left alone to work. In our experience, engineers care deeply about culture, empathy, and enjoying the people they work with. Many of our best engineers were as curious about culture as anyone in People or HR would be.
We have been able to create a high-performing and thoughtful culture across the company and that extends to and is made better by Engineering. That means you get time to do great work and you get to be surrounded by people who care about their work and you.
What else should I know?